The BFS16 #7: They told me this hotel was great

05:00 0 Comments A+ a-



Title: The Grand Budapest Hotel
Year: 2014
Director: Wes Anderson
Other: M/12, 99 min, Adventure/ Comedy/ Drama
Rating: IMDB: 8,1; Rotten Tomatoes: 92%

Friends told me this was a great hotel. Friends were right!

The idea of watching The Grand Budapest Hotel was sugested by friends, when I was trying to decide on a kind of light, kind of funny, kind of really good thing to watch. It was a no brainer decision, since this had been on my watch list for ages, and I had some deep notion that it had some dark humour in it.

It does indeed have that dark humour pinch (so much so that me and my popcorn eating wasn't as much prepared for some parts as it should), but what really engages you is not exactly the plot, but the character of Monsieur Gustave and what lies beneath his calm and controled surface. You will, in fact, never discover it exactly, but it doesn't really matter. The journey here is, as in many cases, much more important than the destination, and it is, generally speaking, a wonderful ride. Wonderful are also all sets and the entire art concept, making this film absolutely gorgeous from top to bottom, in an almost cartoonish vintage style.

However, and very unfortunately, for reasons I'm not quite able to pin down, I couldn't actually fall in love with the flick. Its quality is undeniable and I would tell every single one of you to watch it but, being totally honest here... it didn't do much for me. So, ten points from Hufflepuff! :(

PS - It looks like my BFS16 challenge was caught into a new trend of "really gorgeus movies". So put those ten points back to Hufflepuff, please!