The BFS16 #9: The super-anti-hero

05:09 0 Comments A+ a-



Title: Deadpool
Year: 2016
Director: Tim Miller
Other: M/14, 108 min, Action/ Adventure/ Sci-fi
Rating: IMDB: 8,8; Rotten Tomatoes: 82%

It's as funny as it promissed. THAT I can totally guarantee you.

Super-hero season in officially ON (though, as you might know, it's been on for me for quite some time now) and it starts with the most expected not exactly hero of the year: the sassy Deadpool.
Yes! After years of waiting and months of rating discussions, he's here, and apparently to stay. I watched the movie last night and the theater was almost full, so yeah, the thing is making money, so we'll probably have a sequel (and, lets admit it, FOX needs the money). 

After thinking a little bit about the subject. I concluded the most accurate thing I could say about the movie is that it delivers. It is everything everyone could expect it to be, and you can see how much in love Reynolds is with the character he's portraying and how much he wants to make it justice after that... Wolverine disaster. The fun, the sarcasm, the pinch of blood and gore (it vaguely reminds me of Tarantino) is a perfect dose, and I was totally convinced by the end of it, it would be extremely difficult to make a version for 12 year olds. Those ingredients are what makes Deadpool who he is, and without them... there's basically nothing new.
Which is my ultimate feeling about all this, a feeling I also had with Ant Man. There's something missing. Though I might understand the focus was on the characters, and that nowadays the variety of plots and stories is so big people naturally start thinking about coming back to the basics (look at Supergirl, for instance), Deadpool lacks some creativity beyhond it's central character. We must admit that the story is, in itself, pretty basic, and it has been told a thousand times already. And though that doesn't make the film a bad movie, it makes it a little bit less that what it could be.