First Impressions #2: Bratty Victoria

13:05 0 Comments A+ a-

Victoria (2016)

Title: Victoria
Year: 2016
What is it?: TV Mini Series
Production: itv
Other: Biography/ Drama/ History. The series will have a total of 8 1-hour long episodes.
Rating: IMDB: 8,4,; Rotten Tomatoes: No data available

By now you must know that, as far as History goes, I'm a hands down medievalist. Lets face it, everything since the French Revolution doesn't interest me that much. The thing is, I am also a woman, and a Portuguese woman who has a very unhealthy interest in History of the British monarchy at that. Recently I've been reading quite a few things about the very controversial Portuguese queen, Maria II, and her relationship with Victoria is an inevitable topic. And here I am, watching a show about a queen in which life I've never been quite interested in.
So far I've only watched the first episode of the show, and I must be honest: I wasn't that much impressed, and it doesn't seem to be a piece that'll captivate half as much as War and Peace. Though the photography is amazing and the costume design is spot on, the writing seems a bit lazy sometimes and the pacing is a bit off. It's not that there isn't much going on, is more that you don't really have the correct time to engage with the characters and absorb things. The acting is also far from convincing, as Jenna is - apart from breathtakingly beautiful - portraing a Victoria who is not only shaky as a queen but also way more bratty than I would expect. It may be on purpose, though, and I'm still confidant that we'll see Victoria growing up in character.

First Impression: Meeeh, lets see where all this takes us...